A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives

Bloom’s taxonomy is something I am more familiar with.  In the past, I have striven to scaffold my students’ learning through the different stages of thinking, aiming to get them to the highest level of Evaluation.  Blooms also gave me a way of differentiating my instruction as students were always at different points along the continuum.
Bloom's Taxonomy                      Bloom's Revised Taxonomy         
Lorin Anderson, a former student of Blooms, revised Bloom’s Taxonomy to reflect the changing learning landscape made possible through the emergence and integration of Information and Communications technologies (ICT).  With everything that is happening in the world of technology and in our classrooms, it really does make sense.

What is new is a change in the titles of each categories which now include the verbs: Remembering, Understanding, Applying, Analysing, Evaluating and Creating.  There has also been a shuffle in the last two categories where Creating has replaced Bloom’s Synthesis and is now the highest order thinking skill.  In oder to create, students need to synthesize their learning and make use of their newly constructed thinking on a giving topic.  In addition, each of the categories are now linked to different digiat verbs, things that students can do with ICT. 

Bloom's Digital Taxonomy Concept map.

The important shift is that the focus has moved away from what you know, to focus on what you do with what you know.  I like the idea of moving from lots (lower order thinking) to hots (higher order thinking).

I look forward to working with this new framework.  I know that technology can be used to motivate students to do work they never thought possible, to explore areas that interest them and to further their learning with the use of all the information that is now available to them.  The trick for me is to learn how to make this possible for Grade 1 students.  I am excited about changing the way I teach and learning about ways to teach through technology and not just with it.

Further reading:  Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy

One thought on “A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives”